Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Catchup on the end of January

Wow.  It's February already?!?  I have meant to blog so many nights, but have been on the computer passing out and just closed down what I was working on.  Tonight, I promised myself I'd dedicate some time to updating.  I'll try to sum up what's been going on...

Today was my first day and night with all 3 kids by myself.  Grandma C and Grandpa P went back to Colorado yesterday and Seth was thrilled to hop right back into work by going on a trip to Atlanta.  Fortunately, he'll be back tomorrow night.  The day went fine being by myself.  I've been feeling so good that I'm able to do any and everything I normally would do.  I've even been indulging in picking up Gray and Kinsley for long snuggle hugs - something I hadn't been able to do in my final trimester.  I'm used to having the 2 kids by myself and Lawson has been so easy, it hasn't made for a difficult transition.  I do have to say though that I have gotten really spoiled over the past few months.  Since October, I have spent 12 weeks with Seth between his knee surgery and Lawson's birth.  During that time we were together 95% of the time.  We never fought, or got tired of each other, or got on each others nerves.  It is so nice to be able to love and be loved by your best friend.  I'm really looking forward to some point in the future when we can spend all of our time together again....    One of my favorite things about bringing home a new baby is how I fall in love in a deeper, different way with Seth.  There's just something about the way he tenderly handles the baby and the smile and warm eyes he looks at me with when I have the baby.  Here's a few pictures of him with Lawson from a couple of days ago.





While he was off this past week, we had the opportunity to ride with our newly expanded family of five SMASHED into my little RAV4.  We were going to attempt to use my car for about a year before getting a bigger car, but boy was it smooshed back there with 3 carseats.  The older two were miserable.  They kept wanting Lawson out of the car.  Of course I had done a test run with the 3 carseats before the baby was born and sure it was tight, but I guess when the car seat was empty it wasn't so bad....  Putting the baby in there made us realize the safety of all 3 kids might potentially be compromised in an accident.  The carseats didn't even fit into Seth's car.  So, my hubby being the sales guru that he is, worked the sales guy at the Honda dealership and we walked away with 2 brand new cars for about $200 more a month than we were paying on Seth's car alone.   So.  da da da dum - I now drive a minivan.  The Oddysey.  I never thought it would happen, but it just seems so practical.   And you know something?   From the drivers seat it doesn't even seem like a van.  Only the cabin space makes it feel "van-ish"  Seth now drives a Honda Pilot.  So between the 2 of us, we now have seating for 15.    Gray has been the most excited about the cars and has told EVERYONE he passes in the street whether he knows them or not and tells them that we got 2 new Hondas.  Seth finally had to explain to him that strangers simply didn't really care and it wasn't necessary to stop them out in public to share.  :)  

Lawson continues to grow big and strong.  We had a 2 week checkup yesterday and he weighed 7 lb 6 oz and was 19 3/4 inches.  So he had gained a pound and grown almost an inch.  She thought he looked great and he was so awake and alert during the exam, it prompted the pediatrician to predict that he was going to be a smart baby.  She said it was unusual to see a baby so focused and alert at such a young age.  I hope she's right!  His eyes are open more and are starting to look big and blue!  He's such an easygoing baby.  Much to my dislike, hes starting to become a fan of the paci.  He used to not take it at all, then once he tried to use me as a human pacifier, I introduced him to it.  Newborns have the strongest urge to suck!  He's tried to feed off of many people who have held him!  Hopefully he'll just use it a little bit,  I try not to give it to him unless its a last resort.   He's been sleeping on the boppy newborn lounger as it keeps him inclined.  Once he eats, he usually is asleep right away and laying him down in the bassinet was hard on his tummy.  Gave him lots of extra burps and spit ups.  I think I'm going to try to keep him up a bit longer after he eats at night so he can digest a bit and I can begin to adjust him to laying flat again.  He continues to do well at night and averages 4 to 5 hour stretches.  He never has crying fits.  Knock on wood, I haven't heard him cry for longer than a few minutes yet!














The kids have done really well with him too.  There was a bit of jealousy at first, but they are coming around and want Lawson included when we are doing things like bathtime, bedtime stories and that sort of stuff.  Gray even asked to hold him a couple of nights ago.  So far, both of them have been pretty hands off and are happy to enjoy Lawson from an arms length.  Kinsley will kiss him, but usually only on his feet.  I think Lawson is a bit smaller and more fragile than they pictured him.  Gray told me when I first came home from the hospital that he would love Lawson when "he turns 4 years old" which I interpreted as 'I will enjoy him when he can do more'  Kinsley always says things like "Lawson is so cute and tiny"  She also tells him "it's okay Lawson" when he starts to fuss.  Even though the mommy in me is glad that they don't take interest in handling the baby right now, the photographer in me is super anxious for them to get on board!!  Anyhow, here's some pics of our growing brood getting to know each other.








and one more pic of the awesome scooter race that took place in the driveway over the weekend


No comments:

Post a Comment