Saturday, September 24, 2011

Crying it out


Well, we had to do the inevitable with Lawson.  For 2 nights he woke every two hours and snacked throughout the night.  Basically like newborn behavior, only during the daytime, it was nothing like having a newborn.  Its constantly chasing around after a freshly mobile armed with curiousity baby.

Anyhow, I was heartsick about it yesterday.  I remember vividly with the other two.  Gray didn't go through it until probably about 15 months old.  He was my baby that I had tried for for sooo  long,  I was happy to oblige any of his whims.  He did fine.  Cried as you would have expected but nothing horrible.  Kinsley was 8 months old also and she was a nightmare to get to sleep.  She would scream herself hoarse.  A few times I ran into her room certain she was going to throw up.  I used to have to go outside on the porch to just get away from it.  

Crying it out seems so cruel to me.  Even though the logical part of me knows that for the most part, most babies dont start sleeping through the night without some form of crying involved.  Lets face it.  They're unhappy about the change.  Still to me, it seems to go against every maternal instinct I have to comfort and calm my child.  I can't help but think about it from the child's perspective.  Where are you?  I can't see you or hear you.  Mommy??  Mommy?  Continual crying until the baby falls asleep, not because they are snuggling into a comfy peaceful night of slumber.  No, you are saying, "ahh, they settled" not because they've "settled" but because exhaustion from crying has wiped them of all energy and they pass out.

I don't know.  It just seems so harsh.  

They're just so itty bitty....

And they're only itty bitty once.











No comments:

Post a Comment