Looks like we are starting the crying it out process with Lawson tonight. Not planned. It probably never is and I have guilt about it because he's had a little bit of a stuffy nose the past couple of days. But the truth of the matter is, I am bordering on developing pneumonia and I have been up with Lawson about every half hour for the past two nights. Tonight he went to bed about an hour and a half ago and I have already been in his room three times trying to settle him, or lets call it what it is...nurse him back to sleep. Unfortunately its become impractical. He is such a happy child and from one level I feel like he doesn't need the uninterrupted night of sleep because it doesn't really affect him during the daytime. It does however affect me and my patience level with Gray and Kinsley.
The good news is it only took two times of me going in there at about five minute intervals to give him a reassuring pat and lay him back down. Keeping my fingers crossed that he goes for a longer stretch now and through the night. I'm not ready to tackle this full on tonight. We both need to get better first. I do think however, a small dose of re-learning how to put himself to sleep at the beginning of the night will make this transition easier for him. Now I just need to get him off the boob in the middle of the night....
To me this is the hardest part of parenting. It literally wrenches my guts to hear my baby crying and not respond. It feels very unnatural and goes against every parental instinct I have. I do however have experience under my belt from the other two and along with that comes the understanding that kids don't really learn how to sleep through the night without going through this somewhat.... I also know that the entire family is better off for it.
Wish me strength and luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment