Wednesday, January 5, 2011

We didn't need a magic 8 ball for this one

Yesterday was the first day back to school.  Just as I knew and predicted would happen, Kinsley pooped in her pants at school.  I peeked through the tiny rectangle window as I was waiting to pick her up and saw her wearing different pants.  My heart just sunk.  I really felt truly defeated.  Her teacher is the sweetest and sometimes (I think...) covers for Kinsley so she doesn't get into trouble.  Her teacher said that she was told to tell me that I would be getting a call from now on when Kinsley poops and I need to come to the school to get her and change her myself.  She was really apologetic and wanted me to know it was just fair warning.  I told her not to worry - that I was sort of expecting this.  I agree with it too.  It's not their place or their problem.  It's ours.

After a mini meltdown (me...not Kinsley) I called the pediatrician and asked for advice.  I spoke to her assistant who shared with me that she has a 3 year old a month older than Kinz who is doing the same thing.  I felt soooo relieved to talk to someone, particularly a pediatric assistant, who was experiencing the same thing.  I guess it's not that uncommon.  There is some emotional connection to pooping thats harder for some kids to process than others.  Hmmmm.  Anyhow, the best advice she could give was to just let her get there on her own time.  She also advised me not to have high expectations with a new baby only a couple weeks away from arriving.

So.....when Seth and I talked we decided to pull her out of school.  The reality is it's not fair to ask her teacher to keep changing her, but we live 20 to 25 minutes away from the school, so its impractical for me to drive down there whenever she does it.   Not with a newborn - no thanks.  I struggled with it all day yesterday.  It breaks my heart because I don't understand why she can't grasp this.  She'll tell you exactly how the process is supposed to go and she'll swear up and down that she'll try harder today...  Then when I look at it from a stubborn or controlling (as in her need to control) aspect, I don't understand why she needs to do that.    We thought that perhaps seeing Gray get to go to school if she didn't get to might encourage her to get things going.  We just really feel out of options and don't know what else to do.  We have tried EVERYTHING...

Seth was off today so we both went to school this morning and took Kinsley along to sort of hammer in the point that she couldn't be at school.  We had lots of talks about it yesterday and last night, as well as this morning on the drive.  We told her that this wasn't Mommy or Daddy's rule, but that it was a school rule that you have to use the potty.  If you can't follow that rule, you can't go to school.  She was pretty unaffected last night.  She just said okay and moved on.  When we talked to her teacher and told her we were pulling her out until she corrected the problem, she was bummed.  She begged us to let Kinsley stay today because they were working on a project for a special Dad's day at the end of the month and she was taking pictures.  We let Kinsley stay and she didn't poop today - at school at least - so I guess she will return unless or until she poops again at which point we'll have a certain event to link to her being removed from school.  It would probably be confusing to her to pull her out after she didn't do it today.  And so....the saga continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment